Tag Archives: Coffee
February 25, 2013 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
- The owners of Comfy Cow plan to expand their ice cream shop by franchising in the region. As a fan of their seasonal sweet potato casserole ice cream, I approve wholeheartedly. (Business First of Louisville, Insider Louisville)
- Taco Punk, the NuLu restaurant Mexican restaurant that launched a Kickstarter campaign, did not reach its $20,000 fundraising goal. No word on what’s next for the restaurant. (Eater Louisville)
- More official news about Havana Rumba‘s new “express” concept restaurant. Havana Rumba Express & Tapas Bar will open in Douglass Loop at 2210 Bardstown Road in the space formerly occupied by Desserts by Helen and Mucho Queso. Owners are still in the planning stages, but this is an opening worth keeping an eye on. (Consuming Louisville)
- New coffee shop alert: Kaelin’s Coffeehouse, 1801 Newburg Road. (Consuming Louisville)
- A Detroit-style pizza parlor called Loui Loui’s will open in Jeffersontown next month at the former Ferd Grisanti’s building, 10212 Taylorsville Road. Check out Insider Louisville’s article for more information about this style of the popular dish. (Insider Louisville)
Leave a comment
January 7, 2013 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
Well, color me surprised.
The Vint Coffee location I often visit at 516 W. Main Street next to Humana HQ has turned into a Heine Brothers’ coffeehouse. Ditto at the Vint location at 462 S. Fourth Street.
I was two seconds from being super confused until I remembered that this replacement had been in the works for months.
Heine and Vint announced that they were merging back in November 2011. As of Monday, the two downtown Vint locations carry the Heine Brothers’ name, Insider Louisville reports. The Frankfort Avenue Vint will stay the same.
To mark the occasion, the downtown Heine Brothers’ locations will offer buy one, get one free coffee on Wednesday, Jan. 9. I’ll drink to that.
Leave a comment
December 20, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
You waited until now to start Christmas shopping, huh?
It’s OK, you have 120 hours and counting to grab some stuff for friends, family and your office Secret Santa.
Here’s a quick and dirty list of food-centric presents that you can scoop up for the big day. Good luck, and godspeed.
- For the drinker
- Bourbon. Duh. (Any decent liquor store)
- Against the Grain Brewery has glassware to hold plenty of beer. The restaurant and brewery also offers Grainiac memberships come with anytime for discounts on beer all year long. (401 E. Main Street at Louisville Slugger Field)
- For the sweet tooth
- Cellar Door Chocolates has treats for everyone. Like a little spice? Try the cayenne pepper or green chile coconut truffles. Need a jolt? Boom, chocolate-covered espresso beans. Like plain ol’ chocolately goodness? Hello, dark chocolate malted milk balls. (cellardoorchocolate.com or buy them at these locations)
- Please and Thank You, that wonderful coffee shop/record store in NuLu, has started selling bake-it-yourself brownie mix and chocolate chip cookie dough. Heck YEAH. (800 E. Market Street)
- For the barista in training
- For the veg head
- Grind Food Truck has expanded its burger offerings to the world of handmade veggie patties. You can buy veggie burgers at the truck or order a frozen take-home pack of two from if you are a member of Grasshoppers Distribution CSA. (grasshoppersdistribution.com or Grind’s Facebook page to find out location)
- For the out-of-towner
- For the drinker
Leave a comment
November 27, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
If you have a spare dollar, it could go a long way for a family this holiday season.
The Heine Brothers’ Coffee location at 805 Blankenbaker Pkwy. will give a free cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate to all guests who donate at least $1 to Care in a Cup on Thursday, Nov. 29. The donations will go toward buying holiday dinners at the Center for Women and Families.
Visit the Center for Women and Families’ website for more information about the non-profit organization.
Care in a Cup
Where: Heine Brothers’ Coffee, 805 Blankenbaker Pkwy., Louisville
When: Thursday, Nov. 29
Cost: At least $1 donation
Bits and Pieces: Heine Brothers’ Coffee, Quills and other Louisville food news from the web, 11.19.12Leave a comment
November 19, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
- Lilly’s — A Kentucky Bistro and Corbett’s: An American Place were selected as two of the Top 100 American Cuisine winners in the OpenTable Diners’ Choice Awards. (OpenTable)
- The new Heine Brothers’ Coffee location at 4305 Shelbyville Road will have its grand opening Nov. 28, but the store will be serving medium cups of coffee for $1 beginning at 5:30 a.m. on Black Friday. (Heine Brothers’ website)
- Mozzaria at Fourth Street Live will become Quattro in December. (Insider Louisville)
- Customers can now buy Quills Coffee online on the shop’s website. If you buy whole beans before noon today, you can get 20 percent off your order when you enter promotion code “Launch” at checkout. (Quills Coffee’s website)
Bits and Pieces: Vint coffee, the Kentucky doughnut trail and other Louisville food news from the web, 11.5.122
November 5, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
- Vint, a coffee/wine shop that merged with Heine Brothers’ Coffee earlier this year, will close its Northfield location Wednesday, Nov. 7. Staff members will work at the new Heine Brothers’ location at 4305 Shelbyville Road that is set to open before the end of the year. (Business First of Louisville)
- The New York Times featured Louisville doughnut shop Nord’s Bakery in an article about the Kentucky doughnut trail. I frequented two other stops on the trail when I lived in Lexington — Spalding’s Bakery and Magee’s Bakery. (New York Times)
- BoomBozz pizza founder Tony Palombino plans to open a restaurant called Manny and Merle on Whiskey Row in downtown Louisville. The restaurant will feature Mexican street food, live music and cocktails. (Insider Louisville)
October 18, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
Look what I found at Heine Brothers’ Coffee last Sunday.
While I was having a coffee office, I noticed the list of seasonal drinks available at the coffee shop. This, my friends, is how I know that it’s officially autumn.
What food or drink reminds you of fall? Chili? Turkey? The Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte? Take it to the comments!
Leave a comment
March 19, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
Wait a minute. People are swallowing spoonfuls of cinnamon for kicks now? And videotaping it? Excuse me while I bang …
February 14, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
I’ve griped about Valentine’s Day, but I’m really nothing but a big sap with a caramel center. I’m blessed to spend …
January 5, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
Working in coffee shops around Louisville was the best thing about being unemployed. You recall seeing black woman, black frame …