I muddled two banana bread loaves before I hit perfection.
I blame the recipes, both ripped from the women’s lifestyle magazines to which my mother and I subscribe (don’t judge me, they’re awesome). Both loaves were dense and dry, more suitable for home insulation than human consumption. I even tried to salvage one loaf by cutting it into pieces and re-baking them as banana nut bread croutons. It was bad. Real bad.
A link to the following recipe appeared in my timeline, and it sounded like perfection. Bananas? My favorite fruit. Nutella? My favorite chocolate-y spread. The option to make banana bread muffins instead of a loaf? Count me in.
The muffins were fantastic. I prefer the muffins to a loaf because of a shorter baking time and the portability of a muffin. The Nutella adds a new flavor to a traditional recipe along with keeping the muffins moist. I recommend eating them slightly warm so the Nutella is still a little gooey.
Nutella Swirl Banana Bread Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Babble.com
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- One cup all-purpose flour
- One cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup Nutella (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray 12 muffin tins with non-stick spray or fill with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until well combined – the mixture will have the consistency of wet sand.
- Add the banana, eggs, yogurt and vanilla and beat until well blended. Don’t worry about getting all the lumps of banana out.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and gently stir with a spatula just until combined. If you are adding nuts or other optional ingredients, throw them in before the batter is completely blended.
- Fill each muffin tin about a third full with the batter. Top with a spoonful of Nutella, and cover with a heaping spoonful of batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden and springy to the touch.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk. Trust me, these muffins and milk belong together.