February 26, 2011 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
The Academy Awards ceremony is my Super Bowl.
I wait all year to see overpaid celebrities in expensive clothes accept awards for movies I may or may not have seen. Why? Because it’s just so glamorous. And every once in awhile, you get a surprise (remember Oscar winners Three 6 Mafia?).
Such an extravagant event is worthy of some stellar eats.
Here’s a collection for the people who will throw Oscar viewing parties and need something to feed their guests Sunday night. But this list also works for the folks like me who will be under a Snuggie for four hours watching the awards.
- AllRecipes never disappoints with its collections of food for various occasions, and the website has some great Oscar-night suggestions. I’d like the ham bone soup for Winter’s Bone and margaritas on the rocks for 127 Hours. (All Recipes)
- Martha Stewart, Queen of Everything Crafty, has some suggestions for movie night foods that would be great for the Oscars. (MarthaStewart.com)
- If you’re keeping the festivities simple, here’s a guide to some of the best microwave popcorn brands on the market … (Epicurious)
- … And here are some labels to make your popcorn a little fancy. (The Kitchn)
- Limited funds and/or imagination? Here’s some ideas. (Apartment Therapy)
- Need a laugh? The snarky website Gawker has compiled a list of tongue-in-cheek dishes to serve during the awards, including Black Forest Swan Cake (“Garnish with coconut shaving ‘cuticles.'”), Helena Bonham Tartar Sauce and Annette Beignets. (Gawker)