September 1, 2010 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
is the white, Southern grandmother I never had.
Butter is her best friend. She’s saucier than Béarnaise. And that accent – God love her.
Paula Deen will be close by Friday as she celebrates the opening of The Paula Deen Buffet at Horseshoe Southern Indiana, a casino is Elizabeth, Ind., right across the river from Louisville. There is will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 10 a.m. followed by an $80 brunch, according to Horseshoe. I’d scoff at the price, but all proceeds will go to Blessings in a Backpack, a charity that sends kids home on Fridays with a backpack full of food to fight childhood hunger.
Paula Deen’s website has a delicious description of her buffet, which offers such Southern staples as fried chicken, gumbo and grits. I don’t foresee heading to Savannah to try Paula Deen’s delicacies any time soon, so a trip up to Indiana might be my best bet.
- Grand Opening of The Paula Deen Buffet
- When: 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 3, 2010
- Where: Horseshoe Southern Indiana, 11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, Ind.
- Cost: Brunch after Paula Deen’s ribbon cutting is $80, proceeds benefit Blessings in a Backpack
- To make reservations: Call Horseshoe at 800.872.4366.