June 9, 2010 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
It’s that time again.
Farmers’ markets have sprouted up across Louisville, displaying a rainbow of produce more brilliant than anything in an art gallery — cardinal red peppers, mustard yellow melons, kelly green pea pods.
I plan to visit my first farmers’ market of the season this week. Here is a list, courtesy of Local Harvest, of some markets in Louisville and southern Indiana.
- Old Louisville FarmWorks Market, 1143 South Third Street (parking lot of Walnut Street Baptist Church)
- 3-6 p.m. Wednesdays, June through mid-October
- Gray Street Farmers’ Market, 485 E. Gray Street
- 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. Thursdays, June 4 through Oct. 29
- Bardstown Road Farmers’ Market, 1722 Bardstown Road
- 4:00-6:30 p.m. Thursdays
- 8am-noon Saturdays (year round, different hours in the winter)
- Rainbow Blossom Farmers’ Market, 3738 Lexington Road
- Noon-4 p.m. Sundays, May through October
- Beechmont Open Air Market, Southern Parkway at Wellington Avenue
- 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, June through September
- Broadway Baptist Church Farmers’ Market, 4000 Brownsboro Road
- 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, now through September
- Mid City Mall Farmers’ Market, 1250 Bardstown Road
- 4-7 p.m. Thursdays, now through October
- St. Matthews Farmers’ Market, 4100 Shelbyville Road (parking lot of Beargrass Christian Church)
- 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, May through September
- Suburban Christian Church Farmers’ Market, 7515 Westport Road
- 3-7 p.m. Thursdays, May through October
- Phoenix Hill Farmers’ Market, 829 East Market Street
- 3-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, now through October
- Jeffersontown Farmers’ Market, 10434 Watterson Trail
- 3-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays
- 7 a.m.-noon Saturdays, May through October
- Jewish Family and Career Services, 3587 Dutchmans Lane
- 12:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays, May through October
- Okolona Farmers’ Market, 7405 Preston Highway
- 4-7 p.m. Tuesdays, June 23 through Sept. 8
- Southwest Farmers’ Market, 10200 Dixie Highway (Valley High School)
- 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, June through October
- St. Andrew United Church of Christ, 2608 Browns Lane
- 3-6 p.m. Thursdays
- Norton Commons Farmers’ Market, corner of Norton Commons Boulevard and Meeting Street, Prospect, Ky.
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, now through Nov. 6
- St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church Farmers’ Market, 6710 Wolf Pen Branch Road, Prospect, Ky.
- 4-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, now through Oct. 30
- Jeffersonville Farmers’ Market, Corner of Chestnut and Locust streets at Wall Street Church, Jeffersonville, Ind.
- 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays (June 1 through mid-October)
- 3-6 p.m. Tuesdays (June 1 through mid-October)
- New Albany Farmers’ Market, 202 E. Market Street, New Albany, Ind.
- 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays (May through October)
- 4-7 p.m. Wednesdays (May through October)
Have I missed something? Please forgive me if I have omitted your favorite market. Just shoot me an e-mail or leave a comment.