February 6, 2012 by Ashlee Clark Thompson
- Did you watch the Super Bowl? I ate dinner through the first half and slept through the second. I’m disappointed in myself. The Obamas are much cooler than me — they watched the Super Bowl and tweeted about their family chili recipe. (Obama Foodorama)
- Fact: Lady Gaga’s dad opened a restaurant in New York called Joanne. Opinion: Reviewers hate aforementioned restaurant. (Huffington Post)
- Last month, Taco Bell started testing a breakfast menu in 800 locations in 14 states (sorry, Kentucky is left out of this). But did you know that they’re teaming with Cinnabon on some of the items? If they piped the Cinnabon smell out of every Taco Bell location, sales will triple. I’m sure of it. (Huffington Post)
- Eight years ago, a McDonald’s employee just south of Louisville was subjected to a strip search orchestrated by a prank caller pretending to be a police officer. That incident has been turned into a movie, Compliance, that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival this year without the real-life victim’s knowledge. (Courier-Journal)
- Six Texas prison inmates have published a cookbook called From the Big House to Your House. Here is some information about their working conditions:
The Texas women — who, in compliance with regulations prohibiting them from profiting from a business while behind bars, are donating proceeds from the book to their publisher — only have their “hot pot,” a coffee pot-like instrument that warms water, but can’t boil it (boiled liquid could become a weapon). Ingredients also are limited mostly to what can be purchased from the prison commissary. They can forget about real milk — they get powder — or real butter, as well as most individual seasonings. Garlic? They squeeze that from garlic vitamin tablets.